FRANKLIN HISTORIC PRESERVATION PLAN

In October 1949, U.S. Representative James Patrick “Pat” Sutton (1915–2005), representing Tennessee’s 6th District, introduced legislation in Congress to appropriate $50,000 to create a Franklin Memorial in Franklin. The funds would be used by the National Park Service to purchase and restore the Carter House. After lobbying by Stanley Horn, Rep. Sutton introduced the legislation in the fall session, although it was too late for it to move forward.36 In March 1951, at the urging of Horn, the Tennessee Legislature appropriated $26,000 to purchase the Carter House, a key site during the 1864 Battle of Franklin. The property contained the circa 1830 house and three Civil War-era outbuildings. With the Carter House, the State of Tennessee was following a precedent established with the James K. Polk Home, which the state purchased and turned over to a private group to maintain and operate as a historic house museum. In December 1951, the THC turned operations of the state-owned historical site over to the newly formed Carter House Association (CHA), a private organization, with the intent to restore the building to its Civil War-era appearance. 36 Tennessean 20 October 1949:1, 6. Carter House prior to restoration, 1945 (Source: Battle of Franklin Trust) In April 1952, the Tennessee Legislature approved a $10,000 donation to the CHA for restoration efforts, which included removal of features added after the Civil War such as an entrance portico and dormers (Figure 5). The Carter House Association opened the home for tours in May 1953, making it Franklin’s first historic site museum.37 37 Nashville Banner 8 August 1952:2; NPS SRS 2006:14; Tennessean 6 May 1951:28, 12 August:4, 22 August:26, 29 August:44, 18 November:12. 68 FRANKLIN, TN | PRESERVATION PLAN

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NTY1Mzc2