Commercial Resources Early commercial development in Franklin was characterized by Federal-style brick buildings centered around the town square. This style—most often of brick construction—features simple, symmetrical designs. The Maury-Darby Building (NRHP 1972), constructed between 1815–1817, is the oldest building on the square. These early buildings housed capcastores and taverns, establishing Franklin’s core as a mercantile center. As prosperity returned following the Civil War, new commercial construction in Franklin featured the more ornate Italianate and Victorian styles. These buildings are characterized by parapeted roofs, corbelled brick cornices, caste iron details, and storefront windows. The A.N.C. Williams Store (NRHP 1972) at 416 Main Street was constructed in 1864 just after the Civil War. By the 1880s, a bustling commercial area developed along Main Street in Franklin’s commercial business district (NRHP 1972). In the early twentieth century, fires in downtown Franklin resulted in new two-story commercial buildings constructed alongside the nineteenth century Italianate buildings. In the 1930s, Franklin’s commercial resources saw subtle influences of Art Deco architecture. The best example in the city is the Franklin Theatre which opened in 1937. The building introduced curved lines, a smooth wall surface, geometric motifs, and neon signage to the commercial strip downtown. The commercial development of Franklin has centered around the downtown district with modern infill. Some infill stands out against the predominately late nineteenth century and early twentieth century architecture of the downtown commercial core. An example of this is the Post-Modern style building at 210 East Main Street with its short stature and heavy design. Due to the City’s extensive design overlays the newer commercial developments are more harmonious with the historic character of the district, echoing the historic structures using brick, cast stone, and mirroring cornice lines of the older buildings. Industrial Resources Historically, Franklin’s economy was primarily agricultural. To support the sale of cotton – one of the most common crops – the Franklin Cotton Factory opened in 1825 near the Harpeth River. In the 1850s, an iron factory opened near the cotton factory, taking advantage of the proximity to the railroad. Federal military troops destroyed both buildings during the Civil War. In 1869, Joshua B. Lillie established the Franklin Flour Mill at the site of the cotton factory. The company built a five-story mill building in the 1880s and in 1926 constructed concrete grain elevators that continued to operate until the 1980s despite a fire that destroyed the mill in the 1950s. The grain elevators stand on the east side of 1st Avenue South. In 1929, the Allen Manufacturing Company constructed a stove manufacturing plant at 230 Franklin Road. In 1932, the brick building became the Dortch Stove Works (NRHP 1997). The plant remained active until 1991. The building was later renovated as a multi-purpose commercial space known as The Factory at Franklin and retains the Dortch Stove Works ghost sign on its facade. In the 1890s, the one-story brick Ice House was constructed on the corner of South Margin Street and 2nd Avenue South. Its proximity was close to the railroad to receive ice for use as food storage for local families. In the 1940s, a concrete block addition was added to the existing ice house, and was utilized as a poultry processing plant, where up to 20,000 chickens were processed a day at one point. 18 FRANKLIN, TN | PRESERVATION PLAN
RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NTY1Mzc2