Government and Fraternal Buildings The oldest public building in the city is Hiram Masonic Lodge No. 7 (NRHP 1973) at 115 2nd Avenue South. Constructed in 1823, the three-story Gothic Revival building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973. The Williamson County Courthouse (NRHP 1972) at 135 4th Avenue South, constructed in 1858, is a notable example of the Greek Revival style which was commonly used in the construction of public buildings. The courthouse exemplifies this style with its Doric columns and symmetrical design. In contrast, the Williamson County Administrative Complex at 1320 West Main Street was constructed as a hospital in the 1950s. That building has been used for county government purposes since the 1990s and underwent major renovations in 2020. Franklin’s third City Hall is the oldest one still standing. It was constructed in 1892 on the northwest corner of the Public Square and operated until 1959 when the City ran out of space and is now a coffee shop. In 1925, the federal government constructed the U.S. Post Office (NRHP 1972) at Five Points on the west end of the downtown Franklin Historic District. The trapezoidal building sits on a triangular lot and is a notable representative of the Colonial Revival architectural style. The American Legion Hall used by American Legion Post 215 at 510 11th Avenue North is an important African American fraternal landmark in the Hard Bargain neighborhood. Constructed as a dwelling around 1890, it has been used by American Legion Post 215 since 1952. The building is currently being renovated. Religious Resources Churches played a significant role in the public lives of Franklin’s early citizens. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (NRHP 1972) at 510 West Main Street was constructed in the 1830s with enslaved labor. The original sanctuary included a second-floor gallery where enslaved Black people sat during worship services. Several churches constructed after the Civil War still stand in downtown Franklin. These include the 1871 St. Phillip’s Catholic Church at 113 2nd Avenue South, the 1871 First Methodist Church at 148 5th Avenue South, the 1876 Franklin Cumberland Presbyterian Church at 615 West Main Street, and the circa-1890 Missionary First Baptist Church at 113 Natchez Street. Gothic Revival was a popular style for church construction in Franklin, and the rest of the country, during this period. The style, typically constructed in brick or stone, is characterized by an emphasis on verticality, steeply pitched roofs, pointed arches, lancet stained-glass windows, and buttresses. The St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, First Methodist Church, and the Franklin Cumberland Presbyterian Church are all examples of Gothic Revival ecclesiastical architecture. During the twentieth century, religious congregations constructed churches throughout the city. These include the 1907 Romanesque-style First Presbyterian Church, the circa-1930 Colonial Revival-style First Assembly of God Church at 259 Fourth Avenue South and the circa-1950 Christ Community Church Community Center at 133 Fourth Avenue South. 19
RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NTY1Mzc2